WHY A SMART WORK ZONE?
Statistics show that there are over 500 fatalities and 37,000 injuries in U.S. work zones every year and more than 40% of fatal crashes are rear-end collisions.*
Smart Work Zones (SWZ) improve safety and mobility and save lives by providing useful driver information, improving traffic flow and reducing incidents. Data demonstrates that during the past 5 years, Smart Work Zones, along with other safety initiatives,havereducedfatalitiesinU.S. work zones nearly 30%.
Ver-Mac manufactures the equipment, developed the JamLogic software and provides the expertise to make work zones smarter.
WHAT IS A SMART WORK ZONE?
In the simplest of terms, Smart Work Zones consist of DATA COLLECTION, DATA ANALYSIS
and conclude with outputs of FULLY AUTOMATED TRAFFIC INFORMATION
provided to all concerned motorists about real-time downstream trafficconditions.Greatsystems,likeVer-Mac’sJamLogic are SCALABLE, FLEXIBLE, TRANSPARENT & DYNAMIC. These systems can be as small as 2 to 5 devices and be scaled to as large as required.
WHAT IS JAMLOGIC FOR SMART WORK ZONES?
Our JamLogic software provides transparent client server access to all devices and data. The software analyzes traffic data and provides real-time information to the motoring public, project managers, agencies, traffic management centers (TMC), and publicwebsites.Here's an overview of how JamLogic works:
- Scalable, flexible and customizable system
- Speed data from multiple sources
- Interactive GPS device mapping and listings
- Transparent logging and history data
- Streaming video with PTZ control
- Unlimited users / various levels of access
- Optional public website
- Optional automated email or text alerts
- Increased traveler and worker safety
- Cost savings due to reduced incidents
- Better information to motoring public
- Quicker incident response and improved mobility
- Real-time project visibility
- Data analysis at your fingertips
- Better understanding of traffic conditions
- Meets the requirements in the FHWA’s Section 1201 Final Rule
JAMLOGIC PROJECT LIST AND GPS MAP VIEW
Interactive map / Color-coded speed data / Real-time message display / Communication and battery status diagnostic
JAMLOGIC PTZ CAMERA
Stream live video of the work zone / Pan, tilt, zoom (PTZ) / Multiple camera options / Record video option available
JAMLOGIC DATA REPORTS
Sensor, sign and event history / Monthly, weekly, daily, hourly / Standard and custom / Reports instantly / Export to Excel
SMART WORK ZONE EQUIPMENT
Ver-Mac is a leading manufacturer of NTCIP-compliant SWZ equipment:
JAMLOGIC MOST COMMON APPLICATIONS
- AQW (Automated Queue Warning): Based on real-time traffic data, Queue Detection and Warning Systems automatically inform travelers of the presence of downstream stop-and-go traffic with the use of message signs positioned upstream. The benefit is that motorists can anticipate the upcoming situation and the result is reduced rear-end collisions. Successful applications have seen a reduction of up to 70% in rear-end collisions.
- Travel time / Alternate Route suggestion: Travel Time and Alternate Route applications are continuously updated automatically to provide current travel time or length of delay time between the driver’s location and a specific destination downstream. The benefit is the motoring public is informed and can make alternate route decisions. It also prevents unexpected long backups and potential rear-end collisions.
ADDITIONAL JAMLOGIC SWZ APPLICATIONS:
- Portable AQW – Utilizing Ver-Mac’s portable sensor – the Speed Mac, sensors can be set up and removed quickly to provide queue warnings for daily lane closures or nighttime paving operations. With an algorithm preprogramed into Jamlogic, the system will instantly begin automating Queue Warning messages to message signs upstream. The benefit is that motorists are informed of non-recurring congestion and the result is reduced rear-end collisions.
- Variable Speed Limit – Based on real-time traffic data, Variable Speed Limit systems automatically inform motorists of lower speed limits needed upstream due to slowing traffic or congestion. The variable speeds are displayed on Variable Speed Limit trailers or Full Matrix RGB color portable message signs. The benefit is vehicle speeds are lowered before the slow/congestion area improving safety and mobility.
- Work Zone Speed Limit – Portable work zone speed limit trailers are designed to display work zone speeds when workers are present and posted speed limits when workers are not working or present. The benefit is increased safety for workers and the motoring public in work zones and improved mobility during non-working conditions. Additionally, portable sensors can be added to these trailers and can be used in conjunction with AQW and travel time applications.
- Speed Awareness – Speed awareness devices display the current speed of the motorist along with the posted speed. Feedback messages can be displayed when the motorist exceeds the posted speed limit. The benefit of this system is that it slows down motorists at specific locations to improve safety on the roadway. Additionally, these trailers can be used in conjunction with AQW and travel time applications.
- Dynamic Lane Merge (a.k.a Zipper merge) – Utilizing portable sensors before a lane reduction, the system analyzes speed and occupancy of each lane before the merge. Based on the traffic flow data, the system will provide real-time lane information to motorists upstream to even the flow of traffic thru the merge. The benefit is improved mobility thru the lane reduction merge and reduced incidents.
(credits to WisDOT and the Zoo Interchange)
- Overheight Vehicle – Utilizing overheight detection sensors, the system automatically alerts drivers in advance of an alternate route or to stop if they have passed the route. The benefit is preventing collisions to structures that cause significant damage and delays.
- Hazardous Roadway/Weather Conditions – Utilizing a variety of weather and roadway sensing devices, these systems dynamically caution motorists about dangerous or unexpected roadway conditions. The benefit is the system provides the motorist with real-time potentially life-threatening conditions and instructions to safely travel.
- Turnkey software/hardware offering - we both manufacture the equipment and bring intelligence to work zones with our JamLogic software
- Experience - Ver-Mac has deployed more projects since 2000 than any other provider
- Strong distributor network - we provide the local support that is essential for project success
- The Ver-Mac team - we support you through the pre-design, on-site deployment and continued support throughout your project
- JamLogic Software - it is truly transparent and has the ability to blend multiple data sources to provide the best real-time information. It's the core of our successful smart work zone solutions
USEFUL LINKS TO KNOW MORE ABOUT SMART WORK ZONES
YOU HAVE A PROJECT? YOU'D LIKE TO TAKE A LOOK AT OUR PROJECTS?
WE HAVE THE SOLUTION!